EXPIRES AUGUST 31, 2022!
The Texas Health Services Authority (THSA) was created by the Texas Legislature to establish statewide health information exchange capabilities. As part of this charge, THSA manages a statewide health information exchange network called “HIETexas.” This network includes the Emergency Department Encounter Notification (EDEN) system, which provides real-time notice of patient healthcare encounters from acute and post-acute facilities across Texas. These healthcare facilities send admit-discharge-transfer (ADT) messages in real-time, and EDEN routes the notification to providers with an established treatment relationship with the patient.
THSA does not charge healthcare organizations to act solely as data sources. However, several smaller healthcare organizations do incur costs from their electronic health record (EHR) vendor to send data to the EDEN program. Given its statutory charge to establish statewide health information exchange capabilities, THSA seeks to address this challenge through the creation of the EDEN Data Source Assistance Program.
Who Qualifies? In order to qualify for this program, a healthcare organization must (1) not currently be connected to EDEN, and (2) meet all of the following:
- Must be a Medicaid-licensed acute care hospital operating in the State of Texas;
- Must be able to produce real-time admit-discharge-transfer (ADT) feed compliant with HIETexas EDEN ADT specifications;
- Must have 50 beds or less; and
- Must complete the steps in the “how do I get started?” section below.
What Costs are Covered? THSA will cover up to $5,000 in costs that the qualifying healthcare organization’s EHR vendor charges to establish an ADT feed to EDEN. THSA will cover only those costs actually incurred, and the qualifying healthcare organization must provide proof of such costs. THSA will provide this incentive to the first 25 qualifying healthcare organizations that apply. This program runs from now through August 31, 2022.
How do I get started?
- Review the basics of the EDEN program;
- Contact the THSA at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Fill out the required EDEN agreement; and
- Fill out the EDEN onboarding sheet.